by Adrienne, Director of Sustainability.
It’s a new year, which is a great to time to set goals and make positive changes. At Summit, one of our goals for this year is to become more sustainable.
The World Commission on the Environment and Development defines sustainability as “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” We are thinking of ways to apply this to your daily coffee experience.
Everyday at Summit, we see how much you all enjoy the outdoors. We see you come in after your run and bike ride, and on your way out for a weekend hike. We love all your inspiring photos for our #findyoursummit campaign. It is important to us to meet all your coffee needs while also reducing our impact on all the other things you love.
Sustainability is something we have always cared about as a company, but this year we have decided to make it more of a focus and be intentional about making decisions that better serve our company, our community, and the environment long term.
Improvement will require some changes and not all of those changes will be easy. We are going to need a lot of help from you, our loyal customers. In fact, there are a lot of things you can do in the shop to help us become more sustainable. Here’s a quick list:
- We can make ANY drink in a ceramic or glass cup. So why not hang out for a while and enjoy your drink in a nice reusable dish instead of a paper cup? Just ask your barista to make your beverage “for here,” we are happy to do it!
- Stirring some cream into your coffee? Try using a metal spoon instead of a wooden stir stick. There is dirty dish bin conveniently placed under the cream bar for you to drop the spoon in when you are done.
- Bring a reusable coffee mug! Drip coffee or loose leaf tea drinkers can fill up a reusable coffee mug under 20 ounces for only $1.75. Considering our 16oz regularly costs $2.50, this is a huge incentive for you to bring that awesome Summit travel mug you have sitting in your cabinet. Furthernore, all other drinks receive a $.50 discount when you use that mug. Leave one in your car or next to your briefcase or purse, you’ll never forget it! Don’t worry if it’s a little dirty from yesterday’s coffee – we can easily give it a rinse!
- Water bottles: We don’t charge $.50 for disposable water cups because we are stingy. We do it to cover our costs and to encourage you to consume your water on the premises with a reusable cup, or to bring in your own water bottle. We love that so many of you end your workouts at Summit or bring your kids here to play out back, and we encourage you to use reusable water bottles to stay hydrated. Stay tuned as we hope to have some Summit branded water bottles for retail soon!
- Did you know most of our paper and plastic materials are recyclable? All empty paper and plastic cups and lids can be recycled! Didn’t quite finish your drink? No problem. Dump the rest in the sink or ask a barista dump it for you. We also recycle all plastic, glass, and aluminum drink containers.
Don’t worry; you won’t be doing all the hard work. We’ll be making changes company-wide to be more sustainable. So be on the lookout for changes behind the bar, in the kitchen, and at each of our three locations!